Friday, December 14, 2012

Frugal Friday: Homemade!

Happy Frugal Friday!

1) Homemade Laundry soap:
My friend Andrea makes some really good liquid laundry soap and we made it together one day (it made a huge 5 gallon bucket!)  I just ran out and wanted to try my hand at making some powder detergent.  I know a few people who make powder detergent from pinterest and really like it.  So I made some and really like it so far!  Here are the ingredients:  1 bar of grated fels-naptha, 2 cup of washing soda, and 2 cup of borax.  Mix together.  I use 1-2T of detergent per load.  And I have a ton of borax and washing soda left, so I will only have to buy fels-naptha the next time I make a load.




2) Homemade dishwasher soap:
Since I had all of the ingredients, I made some dishwasher soap at well.  
The ingredients for this are: 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of washing soda, and 1/2 cup of epson salt (you can substitute epson salt with pickling salt or lemishine).
Use 1 T per load

3) Homemade cream of soup mix:
I found that there are a lot recipes that I use canned "cream of soups" in.  On pinterest, there is a recipe for a dry mix "cream of something soup" recipe.  You can substitute this for any cream of soup.  I made a batch of it and have used it a lot.  I find this is much cheaper that spending $.89-$1 on each cream of soup.  And I had most of the ingredients in my pantry.  I think I only had to buy dried milk.  

Here are the ingredients:
1 cup of dried milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup bouillon any flavor (if you have cubes you have to smash them up)
4 T dried minced onions
1t dried basil
1t dried thyme (can substitute with dried parsley)
1 t pepper

I mixed it all together and put in a large mason jar in my pantry.  For the equivalent of one can of condensed cream soup, mix 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cup of water and cook until thick.

What do you make homemade?
Happy Frugal Friday!



1 comment:

  1. I make homemade granola. I have one recipe that I LOVE. I make a double batch once a week or so. I did a whole price breakdown....technically it is cheaper to buy granola at the discount store I shop at BUT, that granola is just cluster of oats and mine has nuts, craisins, and other good stuff in it.
    In Korea I made homemade ricotta cheese, pumpkin puree, and we made homemade pizza a lot. Now, I just buy cottage cheese at the store and my pumpkin puree was never that good. American pumpkin is way better. I have a pretty good homemade brownie recipe too.

    ReplyDelete