Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Summer of Amazing Food!

This summer our family has taken taken advantage of some great fresh food!  My family has fun going to the local farmer's market on Saturday mornings, we have a box of fresh, organic fruits and veggies delivered to our house weekly, and have had a friend share her crop-share with us.

We have eaten so many foods this summer that I have never eaten or heard of before.  And I've had a blast sharing my "firsts" foods with my kids.  Recently, a friend gave us some swiss chard and beets.  I have never eaten either and didn't know where to start.  But we had a great time learning new recipes and how to incorporate these new foods into our diet.  

Here's what I've learned this summer about eating habits:
If my kids are involved in picking out the food and preparing it, they are much more apt to try it.  
If I act excited to try something new, they are too.    
It's true what they say... it takes about 10-15 times for a child to try a food before they like it.  So, don't get frustrated, just try again and again.

Have you heard of Easy Eater 2?  If not, like them on facebook!  They have some great resources to help your kids build healthier eating habits and I love that they have a passion for fighting against childhood obesity.

I will leave you with some pictures   :)


picking strawberries... and eating a lot off the vine!

Eating a dapple fire pluot

Made this for dinner recently... roasted chicken legs with carrots, potatoes, and brussels sprouts drizzled with olive oil, sea salt, and Italian seasoning.  Initially, I wasn't going to add the brussels sprouts, but my son requested them!!! 

What are the new foods you've tried this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment