Thursday, June 28, 2012

Photography Therapy


When I was a foster care case worker, one of my job responisbilities was to refer unfit parents to parenting classes.  I asked one of the mothers on my caseload what she was learning in the class.  And she shared with me that day they had received throw-away cameras and they were supposed to spend the next week taking pictures of their children.  The agency would get the film developed and they would make a picture book or scrapbook with the pictures.  The reasoning behind this, was because when parents see pictures of their children (even if they are screaming in the picture) it evokes loving feelings.  Studies show that a person is less likely to be abusive to their children when they look at pictures of them and remember good times.

I was reminded of this today when Warrick decided to climb on a bookshelf at the library and it came crashing down on top of him.  My inital reaction was to embrace him and ask if he was ok, quickly followed by "don't EVER EVER EVER do that again!"  What makes matters worse, is that Warrick was climbing on the dresser in our bedroom just last night with the same result.  Other than a couple of bumps and bruises, he's completely fine.  But I thought for sure he would have learned his lesson.  Then today after the library, I caught him climbing on Tynnley's changing table.


Pair this with my little monkey's daily temper tantrums, endless energy, and constant demands and I'm in need of some serious photography therapy!!!  


So today, I'm taking pictures of my children... lots and lots and LOTS of pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment