Friday, April 12, 2013

Frugal Friday!

Happy Frugal Friday!  Did you miss me?  :)

This morning I made tortillas.  And they were good, so I decided to share them.

I doubled the original recipe and made 32 tortillas, which I plan to freeze for later use.  I'm planning on making chicken fajitas this week and my kids are fans of cheese quesadillas, so it will be perfect!  

These took longer than I expected... and next time I make them, I will wait until Tynnley is napping or Warrick is at preschool or the kids are in bed.  There was a lot of pausing on my part to clean up spilled milk, break up a marker fight, and just general screaming that I had to deal with.  :)

I love making things and being able to know all of the ingredients that go into it.  I have been at the store and am very unimpressed by all the extra ingredients in tortillas.  And the organic ones are EXPENSIVE, in my opinion.  So this was the perfect solution.  And super frugal, but I'm not sure how much they cost though, since I had all the ingredients on hand.

Here are the ingredients:

  • 5 cups whole-wheat flour (I used Meijer natural white whole-wheat flour)  
  • 1 cup oil (I used olive oil)
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cup warm water 


Instructions:
  1. Mix together flour, oil, and salt.  Beat until crumbly (3ish minutes).  Use a dough hook if you have one, but I don't and it was fine.  
  2. With the mixer running, gradually add the warm water and continue mixing until the dough is smooth, about 3 minutes.
  3. Take out the dough and divide it into 32 equal sized pieces. I do this by making the dough into a big log shape, then cut it in the middle. Then I cut each of those pieces in the middle and so on until you have 32 pieces.
  4. Using the palms of your hand roll each piece into a round ball and flatten it out on a baking tray or board. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.  
  5. Heat a griddle or pan to med-high heat. 
  6. On a lightly floured board or counter top, use a rolling pin to turn each ball into thin tortillas.  Be careful not to use more than a teaspoon or two of flour when rolling out each ball into a tortilla because too much excess flour will burn in the pan or griddle.
  7. Grease the pan with a touch of oil and then carefully transfer each tortilla, one at a time, to the pan or griddle and cook until puffy and slightly brown, about 30 to 45 seconds per side. Set aside on a plate to cool slightly. Eat within an hour, refrigerate or freeze.

I got this recipe from here, and edited it slightly.  

Here are some pictures:  

rolled out and ready to be cooked:


 cooking on the griddle:

Breakfast:  spinach, egg, cheese, and sauteed onions and pepper.
Finished product... MMM.
I loaded it too big and it wouldn't shut.  Don't judge... it was 11:15am before I was able to eat breakfast.  And it was really good :)

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment