Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Menu Planning

I'm always interested in saving money at the grocery store.  This week, I got all this at Kroger for $68.40

Our family has been trying to eat as "clean"/healthy as possible for the past several months, so the majority of this is organic.  It can be a challenge to eat healthy on a tight budget, so I thought I'd share what my family is eating this week.  We budget $70 per week for groceries (2 adults, and 2 children).  This week I spent $73.89... I went over a little by going to the farmer's market (the 2nd picture).  



farmer's market

Here is our meal plan for the week:

     Breakfasts:
Fruit, eggs, and toast
Oatmeal with fruit
cereal

     Lunches:
cheese tortillas
pb&j sandwiches
dinner leftovers
annie's mac&cheese

     Snacks:
pineapple
popcorn
naturebox

     Dinners:  
Chicken fajitas  (with homemade tortillas
Beef with brussel sprouts
Chicken fried rice
Meal at church
Steak Salad


We recently bought 1/4th of a cow, so I won't be using much of the grocery budget buying meat for a while :)  

If you are interested in cleaning up your eating, check out this website (www.foodfacts.com).  You can type in any food and it will give it a rating A through F.  I was surprised to find that jif peanut butter received an F rating.  I knew it wasn't good... but didn't know it was that bad.  You'd be surprised what you can learn on foodfacts.  

What did your family eat this week?

1 comment:

  1. Brooke, this makes me so happy! There are weeks where our grocery bill is low, but then there are weeks, when I want "real food" and that seems to make the bill go up. I know that some women work really hard to coupon and deal match (and whatever else they do) so that they can eat real food for 17 dollars a week for a family of 10, but I am definitely not there yet :) Thanks for keeping it real! You have some yummy meals planned!

    ReplyDelete