Friday, July 6, 2012

Frugal Friday!


10 ways to save at the grocery store



I'm always trying to find ways to save at the grocery store because I feel like it's the only place in the budget that can fluctuate.  Here are some ways I've learned to save money grocery shopping, they are pretty basic, but always a good reminder:

1) NEVER NEVER NEVER go to the store hungry.  Any time I've gone to the store hungry, I come home with much more than I would have otherwise.

2) Always shop with a list.  Meal plan and go through the pantry and fridge/freezer to see what is needed.

3) Look high and low.  Name-brands pay money for stores to put them on eye-level, don't let them win :)

4) Keep track of how much you're spending and only take cash so you won't go over the budget you've set.

5) If possible, go alone.  Kids are distracting (at least mine are).  Warrick usually asks to buy things when I take him and Tynnley gets grumpy after a while so towards the end I'm rushing and less worried about price checking.    

6) Grocery shop as less often as possible.  This cuts down on impulse buying.

7) Shop quickly!  According to "Cut Your Bills in Half" by the Editors of Rodale Press, "market surveys indicate that shoppers spend an extra 50 cents for every minute over 30 in a supermarket."  

8) Watch the scanner!  Cashiers are human and make mistakes. 

9) Buy generic if possible.  Name-brands add up to 40% more to your grocery bill.  "Cut Your Bills in Half" says "As for generics, try these items, which have the same chemical makeup no matter what the label:  baking soda, cooking oils (except olive), cornstarch, dried fruits, extracts and flavorings, herbs, honey, lemon and lime juice, molasses, nonfat powdered milk, orange juice, peanuts, salt, spices, sugar, unbleached flour, vinegar, walnuts."   

10) Eat vegetarian at least 1 night per week.  Meat is usually the most expensive thing on my grocery list.

Hope this was informative.  Stay tuned for part 2 :)

2 comments:

  1. Number 1 always gets me in trouble :) health wise and cost wise, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that it is only Tuesday and I am like, "I wonder if it is Frugal Friday yet?" hahaha! Love the list :)

    ReplyDelete