Friday, July 13, 2012

frugal friday!

Homemade yogurt!

I have heard of some of my friends making homemade yogurt so when I saw a super easy recipe on pinterest, I was excited!  There are only 2 ingredients... 1/2 gallon of milk and a single serving of yogurt.


Pour the 1/2 gallon of milk into the crockpot.  
Turn crockpot on high for 2 hours (or 180 degrees)

After 2 hours, turn the crockpot off.  Take the lid off and let it cool for an hr or when you can stick your finger in and leave it for 10 seconds.  

Then stir in the yogurt from the store.  Some people also add 1/2 c of powdered milk to thicken the yogurt up, but I did not.  

Put the lid back on and wrap the crockpot with a towel and set away for 8-12 hours.  The yogurt needs to cool down slowly.  I read that putting it in the oven is a good idea so it keeps away from drafts and retains some heat longer.  (just make sure no one turns on the oven!)  I did this before bed so that in the morning it was ready to eat.  

Stir it and put it in containers... it makes sooo much!!!





It filled these three containers!  
I made around 2 1/2 quarts of organic yogurt for $5 and I think that's pretty frugal!
The recipe I used said to freeze 1 cup of the yogurt you made for your next batch so you won't have to buy it at the store.  


I added some homemade granola to mine and it was great!


Warrick and I picked the only ripe strawberry in our garden for his yogurt


Taste test... approved with a thumbs-up!


No comments:

Post a Comment