Friday, July 27, 2012

Frugal Friday! Saving at the grocery store part 2


Frugal Friday!
Saving at the grocery store pt 2

I was challenged when I read this and a few other blogs and I wanted to see how cheaply (and still healthy) my family could eat for 2 weeks.  So I wrote it all down.  Keep in mind that I have 2 young children who don't eat a whole lot and since I stay at home, I have a little more time to make things while the kids nap or watch a short video.

Here are my 2 weeks worth of groceries:

Aldi:
Honey Nut O's cereal $1.59
Pineapple $1.99
Mac and Cheese $.39 x 2
Freezer bags $1.99
Chocolate chips $1.79
canned green beans $.59 x 2
Oregano $.99
Parmesan cheese $2.39
pretzels $1.29
brown rice $1.16  (I'm trying "normal" rice instead of minute rice... hoping I'm not regretting this decision later, but the price was about 3xs more for minute rice!)
bag $.06  I forgot to bring mine :(
Total:  $15.49


Walmart:
5 bananas $1.02   (these went bad in 3 days :(  So I made banana bread)
organic whole milk $3.46 x 2
skim milk $2.48 x 2
eggs $1.88
1 lb. organic ground turkey $3.78
organic carrots $.98
butter $.88
whole organic chicken $7.19
4 frozen tilapia  $3.59
frozen shredded potatoes $2
frozen diced onions $1.38
frozen broccoli $.98
frozen peas $.98
flour tortillas $1.88
block of mozzarella cheese $4.23
block of cheddar cheese $4.23
head of lettuce $.97
green pepper $.74
wheat spaghetti noodles $1.08
sour cream $1.48
spaghetti sauce $1 x 2
enchilada sauce $1.25
generic fruit loops $1
peanut butter chips $2.38
Total $53.78

2 week grand total:  $73.86

Meals:

dinners:
Mexican grilled chicken... thanks Matt!!!
crockpot potato soup, carrots, and pretzels (I know it's 102 degrees out, but this soup is that good!)  
zucchini pizza (friday pizza & movie night!)  This is my grandma's recipe and it's so good!
tilapia, peas, and brown rice
chicken spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread
turkey mini meatloafs and broccoli
chicken enchiladas
zucchini lasagna
beef stir fry (have some pot roast leftover in freezer)
tuna noodle casserole
hamburgers, salad, and mac & cheese
church x 2 (we eat a meal at church together on saturday nights)
cheeseburger pizza (friday pizza & movie night!)

lunches:
pb & j sandwiches with pretzels
grilled cheese with fruit
mac & cheese with peas
egg or tuna salad sandwiches with carrots
dinner leftovers
salad

breakfasts:
pancakes
waffles
fruit
banana bread
cereal
homemade granola

snacks:
popcorn
fish crackers
fruit
cheese slices
pretzels with peanut butter
And I made these cookies for church (but of course doubled the recipe so I could keep some at home)


In my pantry I already had tuna, refried beans, goldfish crackers, creams of mushroom and chicken, a large zucchini, pepperoni, and lots of flour to make bread, pancakes, waffles, and cookies  :) 

In my freezer I already had 3 chicken breasts and hamburger patties.  Having stocked up on things on sale in the past saved me a ton!  In the weeks to come, I'm sure my bill will be more since I'll have to get more meat than I did this time.

I made the whole chicken when I got home from the store in order to shred the chicken and freeze for 2 meals (chicken spaghetti and chicken enchiladas) and chicken broth.  


I will most likely have to buy more milk and fruit at some point, but I thought I did pretty good for 2 weeks of meal planning!  



My blog can't be complete without some pictures, so here you go:



I saw this great idea on pinterest to put cookie dough in 1T balls in ice cube trays so they are ready to go whenever you want them... cheaper than buying the break apart cookies in the store.  



Last week, I got this HUGE zucchini at the farmer's market for $1.50!  I made zucchini bread, zucchini pizza,  and zucchini lasagna with it.  I think it was a $1.50 well spent!  :)  

 
Tynnley helping me prepare carrots for dinner  


 
snack necklace we made for family movie night


What are some frugal meals that you make? 



1 comment:

  1. Wowza! You are so dedicated to keep a list :) I am not going to lie, my mouth dropped open while I read through your prices. We pay 6-7 US dollars for a gallon of milk (13-14 US dollars for organic) and meat is crazy expensive. I am trying to do the conversions in my brain right now, it is like around 16 dollars for a pound of pork or something (which I did not realize until right now) - I just got WAY more excited about moving back to America :)
    I was going to comment on your first list of grocery tips, but I forgot. I always try to pray when I walk into the grocery store, "Jesus, thank you for giving us money to go grocery shopping. Help me to steward it wisely and buy healthy, nourishing food for my family." It puts my mind in the right place and I really do believe that I find better deals or can decide more easily which items to buy if I am indecisive. Sorry that this is the longest comment ever :P

    ReplyDelete