Friday, January 11, 2013

Frugal Friday!


Don't drink your money away!  Don't worry, I'm not talking alcoholic beverages, although I'm aware that alcohol is expensive.  But, since I'm a teetotaler, I'm talking about pop, juice, and the like.   

Buying drinks at the grocery store have the potential to drain a lot of your grocery budget.  We rarely buy pop and the only time we do is if someone is sick (7-up) or if we are going somewhere and are bringing beverages.  I do buy juice boxes for Warrick's lunches, but he only goes to preschool 2 times per week so it takes him 5 weeks to drink them all.  I buy juice 1-2 times per month... usually white grape juice so I don't worry about stains since spills in my house are inevitable.  When I get home, I pour the juice in a plastic container and add just as much water as juice.  This is because I'm frugal and because my kids don't need all that sugar.  

It's so much healthier to drink water anyways.  But when you do, drink tap water not bottled water.  Your grocery budget will thank you and so will the environment.  I know, I know... tap water... who the heck knows what's lurking in there!!!  I've seen that 20/20 where they test the water in NY and there are traces of narcotics and other craziness in it.  At church recently, a friend of mine named Steven had this super cool water bottle called "bobble" and it has a filtration system inside.  I'm going to have to get one.  It's hard for me to drink the recommended 8 glasses of water in per day, but there are so many ways to make it fun:  the cool bobble water bottle, adding a straw, slicing up lemon, lime, or your favorite fruit can make it so much easier.

I think that's enough randomness for one morning.  Happy Frugal Friday!!

1 comment:

  1. We have a PUR water filter that is right on our faucet. http://www.purwater.com/water/pur-products/pur-year-of-clean-water-value-pack-yow-fb-3700b/ My in-laws got it for us as a housewarming gift when we moved. It is so nice! It does cost you some money to buy the filters, but it is worth it (to filter out the craziness in the water). I also boiled ALL of our water for a long time when we lived in Korea. I refused to "buy" water (Koreans NEVER drink tap water and look at you like you are suicidal when you admit that you drink tap water). I think the key is to put your water in the fridge. We fill up like 5 water bottles and stick them in the fridge at night, then we can just grab water out the next day. Cool water is the best!

    ReplyDelete