Friday, August 17, 2012

Frugal Friday!

Today, I'm featuring an amazing recipe... one that tastes great, is healthy, is pretty, and frugal!  I was happy when I found it on womansday.com.

First, I gathered my ingredients.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw chicken drumsticks at kroger and $2.79 seemed like a good price.  I really have no clue though since I have never cooked them before.  I stocked up and was determined to find some good recipes :)  
I was lazy, so I opted for pre-cut veggies.  (The pioneer woman would be ashamed)  

Then I mixed the chicken with 2T of olive oil, 5 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, and 1T italian seasoning.

Even though the veggies were already cut, I chopped a little more and cut the potatoes.  I love all the colors!  

Then I mixed everything together in a big bowl, transferred it to a large dish and baked it for 1 1/2 hrs at 425, stirring it after 45 minutes.    

 Finished product 

food coma :) 



Cost break-down:
drumsticks $2.79
veggies $3.99
potatoes $1.55
Since I had the other ingredients, this meal cost $8.33.  And it was a lot of food!   

Usually, I try to make dinner while Tynnley is sleeping, refrigerate it and then put it in the oven to cook later... this makes my life easier.  But since I didn't plan well, I had to take the kids to the store after Tynnley's nap.  All this to say, I made this dish (minus the cooking part) and wrote this blog in 30 minutes.  I turned on veggie tales and the kids ate grapes.  It worked out perfectly!
And yes... that is my messy house in the background.  It came down to cleaning the house or cooking and laundry.  I chose the latter since we are fond of food and clean underwear :)   

I hope you  have enjoyed frugal friday!  

1 comment:

  1. I once heard that, "dull women have clean houses". I tell myself this often :)

    ReplyDelete