Friday, August 24, 2012

Frugal Friday!



I graduated from MVNU in 2004 with my social work degree.  It took me almost a  year to find a job in my field.  When I did find a job in my field, I was young, green, and thought I could change the world.  I remember a co-worker telling me frequently that I was "a bleeding heart".  I really had no clue what that meant at the time.  Even though it was meant to be derogatory, he was spot on.  And I still am.

I wanted to use today's frugal Friday to tell you that you're rich.  You may not feel like it since you live in the good 'ol US of A where immediate gratification runs rampant, but you are.            

If you enjoy any of these amenities: indoor plumbing, running water, heating/air conditioning, or have a car,  you are faring better than most of the world.  .

I read an article that stated 80% of the world live in substandard living (ie: no running water or electricity).    Makes me think twice about wanting to throw my kindle fire into the pond behind our house because the internet is slow.  #firstworldproblems.  

I heard a pastor recently say that 1/3 of the world's population has too little food, 1/3 of the world's population has just enough food, and 1/3 of the world's population has too much food.  Can you guess which third we fall in?   

Another article  says that "Americans make up fully one half of the worlds richest 1%.  When you look at the worlds population as a whole, it only takes $34,000 a year per person after taxes to be part of the world's riches one percent.  A family of four with after tax income of $136,000 would be among the world's richest.  Which means even the poorest 5% of American's are richer than two-thirds of the entire world."

I'm not trying to diminish anyone's income/debt problems or make anyone feel guilty, but I sometimes need a reminder that I am rich, blessed, and should think long and hard before complaining about my situation.  It could be A LOT worse.      

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment